In full compliance with the strict law and the continuing concern to promote transparency and impartiality, we implement security practices and adopt procedures with the ever-present aim of pursuing the public interest in the policy areas of the Municipality of Porto.
The protection of personal data processing for citizens is a fundamental right; your privacy is important to us and therefore we make it clear which Personal Data we process, to which defined purposes they are used, the principles guiding this use and explain to citizens/subjects what their existing rights are.
Sustained by a permanent drive to promote citizens’ well-being, the Municipality of Porto, as a Public Entity, working with a wide variety of areas, from town planning and mobility to culture, education, and environment, and also by promoting the economic development, civil protection, tourism, social action, consumer protection, innovation, land-use planning, science, housing, equipment management, heritage, sports, basic sanitation, transport, energy, health, and external cooperation.
With the purpose of fulfilling the fundamental rights of citizens and residents, those working on our territory and those visiting us, the Municipality of Porto, as the entity acting as a data controller:
- Ensures that the processing of citizen’s Personal Data may be collected by the competent authorities only for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes in the framework of their tasks and may be processed only for the same purpose for which data were collected.
- Makes the commitment to implement Personal Data collection minimization, strictly necessary for the specific activity to be performed, and that serves the interest of citizens.
- Has a policy of non-disclosure of Personal Data for commercial purposes or advertising.
How we use your Personal Data
The Municipality of Porto uses your Personal Data to respond to your requests and inquiries, for the submission of processes, to provide information on matters of the city, and for statistical purposes and by means of appropriate studies to help define municipal and public policies. These data can be provided by means of an application, reporting, complaint, notification, and by the service channels made available by the municipality: both verbally or by visiting the website.
We also collect the information that you provide to us as well as the content of messages, namely comments, suggestions, claims or requests, to ongoing improvement for continuous improvement.
With regard to the processing of your personal data, the Municipality of Porto safeguards that this is limited to people who need to know them, in the Municipal framework, in the exercise of his functions to the extent necessary for the performance of their duties for which the Personal data were gathered, or of further processing for compatible purposes.
Personal Data we collect
The Personal Data we collect depends on the particular context of your interactions with the Municipality of Porto and of the Municipality of Porto with you on municipal-level, to the fulfillment of its mission and performance assigned to it.
The Personal Data we collect may include:
- ID Card Number
- Electronic DNI
- Tax Number
- Date of Birth / Age
- Phone or mobile
- Email /Institucional email.
- Geographic location.
- Where the fulfilment of a service involves payment rates or payment fees, or in the course of the entering into or performance of a contract we collect the necessary data and process the data for payment run.
- When visiting our facilities, your image can be captured by our security cameras.
- When you contact us, telephone conversations with our collaborators can be recorded.
Data collection and processing of children and minors
Personal data of children and minors, the collection of which is not done under a legitimate purpose justifying the data processing and are not performed under public interest/public authority, can only be treated or passed on with the consent of the holders of parental responsibilities or the parents and guardians. The holders of parental responsibilities or the parents and guardians have the prerogative of the rights on the Personal Data of minors in similar conditions to the right of data subjects. (Como posso exercer os meus direitos?.)
Special Data Collection and Processing
Personal data of a sensitive nature in certain situations are classified as “Special Data categories” by the Data Protection General Regulation (RGPD)”.
They can refer to the ethnic or racial origin of the holder, personal opinions, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, or health issues (Personal Data related to the mental or physical health of a legal person, including the health service delivery and/or disclosing information on the health condition).
The processing associated with the special data category is awarded heightened privacy protection in the RGPD and it is subject to technical safeguards and specific organization.
Thus, attaching documents that encompass special data categories should only be done when such data are included in the inquiry documents of the templates and forms made available by the municipality of Porto.
Reasons why we share Data
We will share your Personal Data with third parties with your express consent, ensuring strict compliance with legal obligations entrusted to the Municipality of Porto or for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or subject to the exercise of public authority.
Security of your Personal Data
We use a set of technologies, tools, and safety procedures making the greatest efforts to protect your Personal Data from misuse, unauthorized access, or dissemination.
How to release and control Personal Data
We offer, upon request, a right of access, modification, correction, and suppression regarding the Personal Data collected, as well as the right to object the processing of your Personal Data.
Should you consent to the use and disclosure of your personal information, you have every right to withdraw your consent to the use of your data at any time, without compromising data validity up to that point.
The Chief Officer Corporate Data Protection of the Municipality of Porto may be consulted (email@example.com) to clarify matters associated with Personal Data processing and the exercise of their rights as a holder of Personal Data, as well as refer to information on how to exercise their rights, or refer to the link Como posso exercer os meus direitos?.
Rights of the holder of the data
Right to be informed
- You have the right to be informed, in a clear and comprehensible manner on your Personal Data processing by the Municipality of Porto.
Right of access
- You have the right of access to your Personal Data which concerns you and that are processed by the Municipality of Porto.
Right to rectify
- Whenever you verify that the Municipality of Porto holds incorrect, incomplete, or inaccurate Personal Data that concern you may ask for correction or rectification.
Right of Objection
- You have the right to object to the processing of your data by the Municipality of Porto. However, statutory grounds or public interest take precedence over your objection.
Right of Limitation
- You have the power to request the limitation of your Personal Data by the Municipality of Porto regarding certain data categories or purposes of treatment.
Right to erasing of personal data or “Right to be forgotten”
- You may request that your Personal Data are deleted if there are no statutory grounds or public interest that justify the data retention.
Right to withdraw consent
- Whenever your Personal Data is done with your consent, you may request the Municipality of Porto to stop that processing.
Right to Portability
- You have the right to receive any Personal Data that might concern you, in current use digital format and Automatic Reading or request the direct transmission of your data to another entity, but only if it is feasible.
How to file a complaint?
- Without prejudice to any judicial remedy to the Municipality of Porto, you may lodge a complaint, if so you wish, to the National Commission on Data Protection (CNPD), Inspection Authority, using the contacts made available by this entity to that matter.
Storage of Personal Data
We store your Personal Data as long as needed and only for the purposes for which the information was collected.
Our benchmark for the delimitation of the appropriate retention period the several deliberations of European Data Protection supervisory authorities, namely the CNPD- National Data Protection Council and the Local Archival Regulations for Local Entities (Decree number 412/2001, of 17 April and 1253/2009, of 14th October).
Data retention periods can greatly change whenever issues of public interest purposes, historical, scientific, and statistical reasons are at stake. The Municipality of Porto is thereby committed to taking the conservation and security measures.
Cookies or similar technologies
Refer to the following document to learn more about cookies.
To learn more about the Privacy Policies of the Municipality of Porto and about send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Refer to the Chief Officer Corporate Data Protection of the Municipality of Porto.
Any changes to this Policy will show the last “update date”.
Use our contact form to submit suggestions for improvement.
The Municipality of Porto counts on your support.
Last update: April 15, 2019